Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the frequently asked questions below. If you don’t find the answer to your question, feel free to contact our new patient coordinator via email, or set up a FREE consultation.
Scheduling & Visits
What Are The Restrictions On Virtual Doctor's Visits?
Your initial visit at the practice of Rudrani Banik, M.D. must be in person. After the first visit, all follow up visits can be conducted by phone or virtually using our secure video channel if you choose.
Patients have unlimited email or telephone contact with the team at Rudrani Banik, M.D. However, if a question or request is deemed by one of our staff to be too complicated or involved for a response via email they may, at their discretion, require that the patient schedule a telemedicine or in person visit instead of responding via email.
Scheduling & Cancellations
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please be courteous and let us know in advance. Appointments with Dr. Banik are limited and other patients may be on a wait list to see her.
No-shows: If you do not show up to a phone, video/telemedicine or in person appointment without notifying the office via email, telephone, or by changing the appointment using the online scheduling tool on the patient portal, you will be charged $100 to the card on file.
Billing & Insurance
We Are Not A Conventional Primary Care Physician
For many of her patients, Dr. Banik takes the place of the primary eye care provider. Because you can message us online during business hours, we are often able to take care of certain requests, such as prescribing a medication refill.
It is important to note the following however:
1. We do not fulfill an insurance company’s requirement for an in network provider, as we are not in-network with any insurance plan.
2. Availability for same-day emergency appointments is limited. We will try to accommodate your needs to the best of our ability, though there is no guarantee.
3. We do not have a 24-hour answering service and do not take calls on weekends. If you need to be seen urgently or have a medical emergency, you would need to visit an ER or urgent care center. Dr. Banik’s preferred urgent care center for eye issues is New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai located at 310 East 14th Street, NY, NY 10003.
Dr. Banik Does Not Bill Insurance Companies
The cost of any services provided by Rudrani Banik, M.D., PLLC which are not included in the episode of care fee will be billed to you directly.
Medical expenses such as lab tests, imaging studies, and prescription medications may be covered by a member’s health insurance plan per that plan’s rules.
The practice of Rudrani Banik, MD will not submit a medical claim to insurance on your behalf. We will provide you with an itemized superbill including the diagnosis and CPT codes for each visit, along with Dr. Banik’s notes to support clinical documentation. However, the practice cannot further assist you with claim resolution for our services.
We will provide you with a detailed billing summary that you may submit to your insurance for reimbursement. There may be procedures or lab tests that are not covered depending on your plan’s rules.
About Lab Tests
- Most lab tests ordered by Dr. Banik will be billed directly to your insurance by the lab.
- Some lab tests we offer as part of our functional medicine testing program may not be covered by insurance and in these cases you will be charged a fee for a particular test by the lab or through the practice.
- The specific tests ordered will be personalized to you based on your initial evaluation with Dr. Banik and may include blood, saliva, urine, or stool testing.
- We will make every effort to make you fully aware of any additional lab fees that may be incurred and to give you the opportunity to choose which lab tests you feel comfortable paying for.
- You are under no obligation to purchase any specialty testing.
- Should any lab results indicate you may need further testing, you will be directed to continue your care with your primary care physician or a relevant specialist, or should you choose you may continue to work with Dr. Banik.
- At home test kits: If a lab test kit is mailed to you by the practice of Rudrani Banik, M.D., PLLC, you will be charged the day the kit is mailed.
- If your particular insurance company only pays for blood work done at a particular lab facility, such as Quest or LabCorp, you must inform us of this in advance of having blood work done. Most insurance plans cover labs done by major national labs.
Take The First Step Towards Better Eye and Brain Health
Maybe you have some questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision on becoming a patient.
Dr. Banik is happy to answer any questions you have to see whether or not her practice is right for you.